As with human health, there is a lot of information out there about what's "good" and what's "bad" for your dog's health. Some of what you read and hear is true, while some of those things are just myths. One of the common questions that pet owners are concerned about is whether or not rawhide dog treats are harmful or not. If you're on the fence about whether you should or shouldn't feed your dog rawhide treats, consider the information below.
Your Dog-Friendly Guide to Rawhide
• Rawhide treats can cause serious damage to your dog's intestines due to blockage.
• Consuming rawhide bones can irritate your dog's stomach and digestion process. In worst-case scenarios, gastric disorders can develop.
• If and when small pieces of the rawhide are chewed off, your dog can easily choke.
• Depending on where the rawhide was manufactured, there is a good possibility that arsenic-based chemicals were used in the preservation process, which means your dog is consuming toxins.
• Some rawhide dog treats have been found to contain salmonella, which will certainly lead to illness.
• You never really know what ingredients truly went into the production process of various rawhide dog treats.
• Rawhide bones are quickly and easily consumed by dogs, which is not a healthy habit in general. Keep in mind that it may look like your dog is in heaven with that rawhide bone, but he/she doesn't know any better to stop gnawing at it until it's gone.
• Your family can even be at risk if the particular rawhide treats that enter your home are contaminated with E. coli or Salmonella.
Due to the potential health risks associated with rawhide bones, it is in your dog's best interest to avoid these kinds of dog treats all together. Fortunately, there are a variety of rawhide free dog treats available these days. You can find them online, at your local pet store, and even in some health food stores. Your dog will not know the difference but you can feel good about knowing that you aren't potentially harming your canine companion.
There is no need to feel guilty that you are depriving your dog of a delectable treat because Pork Chomps specializes in 100% rawhide free dog treats. These pup chews come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and flavors, all of which have been given two paws up by our furry friends.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kaity_N.